Parker Software Ltd Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ThinkAutomation Business Process Automation > ThinkAutomation Version 4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Excel end of file indicator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenTent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excel end of file indicator
    Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:04pm
Is there a slick way to determine that I've reached the last record of a file pickup, in this case excel? 
thanks,
Mark Carpenter
www.gentent.com
WeaterProof Your Power!
Biker-Jim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker-Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:24pm
File pickup will result in the entire file being processed as one message, which if you have a spreadsheet isn't typically most people want to happen.

I would suggest using the CSV / Excel Spreadhseet pickup instead

That method processes each line as a new message.

You could then look into using the trigger actions and your own custom database to keep track of what row number you are on.

For example, each time you process a new line take the value from a database field, and add 1 to it, then update your database field with a trigger action. A 'count' in short.

Edited by Biker-Jim - 20 Aug 2019 at 4:04am
GenTent View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenTent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 8:18am
Hi Jim, thanks for the response.  I am using the excel pickup.  The issue is I do not know how many rows (messages) are coming in, so I don't know when I receive the last message.  I'd like to know when I process the last message so that I can send a "finished" message to my operators. 
thanks,
Mark Carpenter
www.gentent.com
WeaterProof Your Power!
Biker-Jim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker-Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:11am
There's no straight forward way of doing what you're asking. The only method I could think of would involve complex scripting. I'll mention it to the developers and get a feature request raised to see if we can't add a function that does an action, like send an email, once the last row is done or something.
GenTent View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenTent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:15am
Hi Jim, I think that's brilliant thinking.  An email that could be captured by another trigger could work quite nicely, or an %msg_EOF% indicator built-in variable.  Thanks for looking into this. 
thanks,
Mark Carpenter
www.gentent.com
WeaterProof Your Power!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic