Parker Software Ltd Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ThinkAutomation Business Process Automation > FAQ's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Save file to network mapped drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDHelpDesk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Save file to network mapped drive
    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:27pm
Is there any reason why the TA server should not be able to save files to a network mapped drive?

I have checked the permissions of the main share and of the file folders on the other system.  The host server where TA is running has no issues connecting to the mapped drive and when I copy/move files with MS Windows file explorer there are no issues.

Thank you.
parkersoft-nick View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Lead Developer - ThinkAutomation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parkersoft-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 4:12am
Could you check to see which user the services are running as? (Most notably the Message Processor Service)

If you go to the properties of the service and then click the 'log on' tab you should see that you can change the user context under which the service runs.

You will need it to run as a user who has permissions to save to the remote location.

Nick Proud - Parker Software
Product Owner -ThinkAutomation
CCDHelpDesk View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDHelpDesk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 9:39am
Yes, I followed that line of reasoning.  I even changed the services to run as one of the domain administrators.  None of those made any difference.
Just so you can perform a sanity check on me, here is what I did:

1) When I was able to ascertain that indeed it looked as if permissions were the root of the issue, I had noted in a previous support forum message a user or FAQ noting the need to change the services as far as which entity they were.

So I did just that, changed the services to a different domain entity.  Restarted the services, then check again, still not able to perform the task.  Kept getting that more generic of messages related to potentially not having permission.

2)  I went through and double checked the UNC share permissions, the folder security permissions, etc. to confirm they matched and granted the entity which the TA services were running as did indeed have the correct permissions.  To test this I disconnected all mapped drives to the target network folder from the host server on which TA is installed.  I created a mapped drive forcing it to use the same credentials as the entity running the services.  Sure enough I could use windows file explorer to save and move and delete files through that mapping with no issues, but not when the TA program attempted to perform the function.

As a "cross my fingers and hope this works" type of solution I restarted both the TA server and the target server to which I was attempting to save files.  Windows file explorer worked just fine, but not any of the TA based program items.

I even tried during this period of time to test with the TA server logged in as the same entity under which the services were running.  Still no progress.

3)  Finally, I added the entity under which the TA services were running to the local computer administrators group of the target system and that solved everything.  Not a good choice, but it made it work.  It was immediate once that change was made everything related to permissions was solved.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic